Resources for the Extraordinary Form of the Mass
(Traditional Latin Mass):
Latin Mass Audio
- 14 minute soundtrack, mp3: An approximation of what the standard prayers and responses should sound like in Latin. (Those parts of the Mass that are read silently by the celebrant are not in the audio file.) It may be listened to while reading the "Text of the Extraordinary Form" below. (The use of alt/tab will be necessary return to the audio control in order to pause it while reading the silent parts.)
Text of the Extraordinary Form (Traditional Latin Mass / Tridentine Mass)
- A two-column text (Latin left, English right) intended to be viewed (studied) rather than printed. (For a printed Hand Missal, see the "Hand Missals" link in the blue menu at left.)
Introduction to the Traditional Latin Mass
- 2 pages, portrait, pdf: A very brief explanation of the more obvious differences (10) likely to be observed by someone new to the Traditional Latin Mass between the Mass of Paul VI (Ordinary Form) and the Traditional Latin Mass (Extraordinary Form). When duplex printed, it may be used as a single page insert in the Sunday bulletin to prepare parishioners before the first TLM is celebrated.
A Comparison of the Two Forms of the Latin Rite
- 9 pages, portrait, pdf: A presentation in "Notes Pages" format. Originally delivered to high school sophomores in a "Sacraments" theology course BEFORE their first TLM. This version is generic and examines the structure, orientation, and language of the two forms of the Latin Rite.
Why the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 36 pages, portrait, pdf: A presentation in "Notes Pages" format. Originally delivered to high school sophomores in a "Sacraments" theology course AFTER their first TLM. This version is generic and proclaims the bias of the author in favor of the TLM. Note: the author accepts the validity but not the desirability of the Novus Ordo / Mass of Paul VI / Ordinary Form.
The following are links to pdf's, each containing an "Instruction" that was delivered at a Sunday TLM as part of the catechesis of the congregation. Most of these are elaborations of the 10 points of difference from the "Introduction...." The Instructions may be modified to suit delivery at any location.
|The first, - History|
- 3 pages, portrait, pdf: A very brief recap of the history of the two forms of the Latin Rite.
|The second, - Beginning|
- 2 pages, portrait, pdf: Why does the Traditional Latin Mass begin with Psalm 42?
|The third, - Conclusion|
- 2 pages, portrait, pdf: Why does the Traditional Latin Mass end with the Prologue of John's Gospel?
|The fourth, - Calendar, Part One|
- 2 pages, portrait, pdf: What is Septuagesima?
|The fifth, - Latin|
- 2 pages, portrait, pdf: Why is the Traditional Latin Mass celebrated in Latin?
|The sixth, - Ad Orientem|
- 2 pages, portrait, pdf: Why is the Traditional Latin Mass celebrated Ad Orientem?
|The seventh, - The Dignity of the Sacred|
- 2 pages, portrait, pdf: How is the "dignity of the sacred" preserved in the Traditional Latin Mass?